September 21, 2008
"...I guess it's been awhile now, but for a long time everytime I mentioned Aaron's birth mother, I called her "his mom." Kaylie corrected me every time. She'd say something sweet, like, "You're his mom now." I know this, I knew it all along, but that doesn't erase his Birth Mother from history. I know Kaylie wasn't trying to discredit her or make anyone forget her, she was trying to help me feel like a new mom, but at the same time, something about it all was a little disconcerting to hear. I thought a lot about it and this is what I came to realize:
"Like my son, I have two mothers...."
September 9, 2009
I found this post that I started a LONG time ago. At the time I just couldn't articulate what I was feeling. The circumstances surrounding my thoughts have changed slightly; when I first found this post I thought to myself, "Well, I don't exactly have two mothers now." But the truth is, I have A LOT of mothers. There have been so many mothers throughout my life, but especially over the past 11 years, who have been there to help me, guide me, offer comfort, support and advice, lend a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen. Some have lent support for just a short time, others have been around most of my life, and even others are with me now as I try my hand at motherhood. I am so grateful for all of the mothers in my life, who have shown me so much selfless love and compassion, for no other reason than that they loved me and my family.
I've been missing my mom a lot lately, and it's a painful reminder that I can't talk to her and thank her properly. But I have plenty to be thankful for, and that I can share. I couldn't begin to name all of my mothers, but to Shirley Mac and Mama Sue, Tami & Valerie, Kaylie & Teresa K.- I love you all, and thank you from the bottom of my heart!


2 comments:
I just love you Ashley. What a sweet post. I'm sure you're making one incredible mother yourself!
We love you too, and are blessed to have you in our lives.
Post a Comment