Monday, November 3

Fall Sports

My little Aaron loves to be moving.  In. Any. Way.  Not always safely or fun for the other kids involved!  So we've let him try out different sports, with the hope that weekly games and practices will provide a small outlet for all his energy and need to move, and to teach him appropriate ways to play/rules of sports/playing as a team/etc.

This fall he played soccer - of which I have -0- pictures.  I FORGOT to take my camera to a single game, and I actually made all the games this season!  But, not being behind the camera trying to get a good shot, I was able to enjoy the game and cheer him on.  He's really good at dribbling the soccer ball, really fast, and appropriately aggressive (I worried about this one!), but I was so proud this year when he learned to work with his teammates and pass the ball, trust his teammate to take the ball down while he stood waiting by the goal for (maybe) a pass, and cheered on his teammates for doing a good job.


And then we played flag football for a few blessedly short weeks.  Again, I have -0- pictures, but this because I was coaching (which was sort of an accident and cured me forever of coaching sports!).  The thing about Aaron is that he actually does better with a stranger in charge than he does with me in a situation like this.  He had a hard time paying attention and not showing off or goofing off.  Nonetheless, he was surprising amazing at flag football.  He LOVES to run; loves a good chase.  By the end of the season, when I had taught the boys to fake a pass first, and to zig-zag across the field to dodge the other team, he was in HEAVEN.  I watched him (I was cheering like a crazy person, I'm THAT mom) zig-zagging down the field at warp speed, with 2 entire teams chasing after him, Aaron looking over his shoulder smiling like the Cheshire cat and giggling hysterically while he streaked into the end zone.  Yeah, that was fun.  Not a single picture to capture the memory.


And now we're playing basketball for 10 incredibly long weeks.  I finally have some pictures from his 3rd game!  And now I realize that it doesn't matter that I never took a camera to anything else because all I can get a picture of is a darling blur.  :)




This last one is my favorite.  And all the time I spent trying to take a picture, I was missing out on just watching the game, so no fun for me!  He's great at basketball, too, his natural abilities amaze us.  He remembers his soccer lessons on teammates and passes all the time, he's always trying to stay open so someone can pass to him, he's near the basket hoping for a rebound, and he's really good at being in the right place to defend the guy with the matching wristband (cute way they teach the littles who to defend).  He's excited for every game, he practices every Thursday night and works so hard to do what his coach asks him to do.  By the 3rd quarter, he's huffing and puffing from all the running, and he wants to go back for more.  He cheers every time they make a basket, no matter who shot it, and then skips happily down the court to start again.

Aaron is the sweetest boy!  We're so lucky to have him.  :)

No comments: