


I can't believe it's already been nearly 2 weeks since we brought Aaron home! I took him with me to a baby shower for my best friend, Amy's little sister, Shauna last Saturday. So it was like a regular old Valley Center, CA reunion right there in Lindon, Utah! It is always so amazing to spend time with my longest (not necessarily oldest) friends.
So Amy's mom, Sue A., who has been like one more mother for me (I have so many these days, it's rad), had a present at the shower - not for Shauna, but for me! It was so sweet. She gave us the softest socks ever (that actually stay on his feet), the cutest monkey outfit, the softest blanket, a towel....and a poem. This is it:
A Cub Scout Parent's Prayer
Look down upon my son, Dear Lord,
This smiling Cub of mine.
Please take his hand along the way
So he may never stray.
Bless my son tonight, Dear Lord,
And help him walk with Thee.
Give him comfort, warmth, & love;
He's all the world to me.
Bless his daily efforts,
And make him strong & true;
For life's a heavy burden,
And we're all in need of You.
The absolute best part of this poem is that it's in my mother's handwriting. Somehow, Sue managed to keep this plain old piece of lined notebook paper for at least 20 years. Anyone else would have thrown it away. Sue not only kept it, but knew she had it, knew where to find it, and brought it out at the most perfect time for me. Thank you so much, Sue! I recognized it immediately; just seeing the perfect, unmistakable handwriting brought tears to my eyes (and everyone else's). And if that wasn't precious enough, on the back side of the frame is a special note from Mama Sue. I'll love her forever.
7 comments:
Cute! That is so sweet. She really is so thoughtful to have kept that so long! Aaron is SOOOO cute! You need a shower... and if you don't invite me, I'll come anyways.
totally tearing up! Syd told me yesterday that she was totally pmsing while she was reading all these blogs and crying.. i told her read ashley's latest entry.. that really was the sweetest thing ive ever read
I need your e-mail address if you want to keep reading my very interesting blog! Sorry I couldn't come to your shower!
I want to know if the problems wamu are having is going to affect you in any way! oh, i guess you might not have my e-mail! it's apommerville@yahoo.com
Hello... I know life is crazy with a newborn, but you are not supposed to drop off the face of the planet! How are things going? How is he sleeping? Have you gone back to work yet? Is he a good baby? YOU NEED TO UPDATE US!!!
It was so good to see you this last weekend! The shower was so fun and i loved spending time with you, frank and sweet baby Aaron, Who is the most beautiful child and I'm not just saying that because I'm his aunt. Love you guys Tons!!
Wow! What a tear jerker! I miss your mom so much, but not nearly as much as you do, no doubt! Yes, it's your Aunt Val, and yes, I'm still alive. I love you, Ashley!
Post a Comment